Fw: [Gllug] just a quick question

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Mon Feb 13 14:02:14 UTC 2006

paul wrote:
> me too !!   This is shaping up good  -
> Just to let you know though - I take no pointers from anyone
> about grammar, that's more a matter of style than syntactical
> rules. Given the fact the English language has syntax, there is
> little one can fault in the way a person chooses to emphasise
> their meaning, and syntax is only the methodology by which
> meaning is applied - in other words if you fault the syntax
> there may not be a problem with the writer  - the reader may
> just not understand all the intended emphasis.

If everyone used correct speling and grammar, I (and no doubt others)
would be absolutely delighted. As it is, of course, some people's
strength lay in other areas, and typos creep in.

However, I believe the discussion was about quoting style; the preferred
one for general communication by mailing list, and your repeated
non-adherence to it. The flames will persist if you feed them, usually
followed by cessation of help, as pedantic and petty as that might seem
to the outsider.

The rules for happy mailing list joy are simple. Trim content to which
you are replying (annotated with <snip>, --->8---, etc. if you wish),
and place your reply either completely below the quoted text, or in line
in parts in reply to the pertinent piece of quoted text. Getting angry
with people who communicate in the correct fashion (and yes, it is
correct here) will do nothing but make you look foolish ;-)

hth hand kthnx

Ant

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk