[Gllug] just a quick question

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:40:19 UTC 2006

On 2/15/06, Dani Pardo <dani at enplater.com> wrote:
> En/na Bruce Richardson ha escrit:
> > Now, I like Linux in particular and Free Software in general, but I know
> > it still is not a match for commercial products in some important areas.
>
>   Nice way to start a flame war :) But this sounds a bit FUD to me

I think you may need to reconsider that statement.  All of us on this
list are pro Linux, and no-one is spreading FUD.  Anyone who works in
a professional (enterprise) environment knows that while Linux
acceptance is growing, there are many features of various commercial
operatings systems that Linux can't get near yet.  Linux is great, I
use it daily, I host critical sites on it, but for performance,
stability, security, features, resilience and support it is still very
common for clients to choose a commercial UNIX, and I don't blame
them.

That doesn't mean I don't like Linux, or that I think Solaris is
'better than' Linux - it means I'm a realist.  It also means that when
I sit down with a client to discuss a possible Linux solution, they
take me seriously, because I'll acknowledge that sometimes there are
better tools for the job, including Microsoft's.  Ranting at someone
putting forward genuine arguments that show that sometimes Linux isn't
the best is what gives the whole Linux world a bad name - frequently
I'll have a CTO-type person immediately get defensive if a Linux
solution is proposed on account of the loonies who take an attitude
like this.

> Dani Pardo, dani at enplater.com

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk