[Gllug] Is this a silly idea - VOIP telephony with Asterisk?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Feb 11 16:05:49 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 15:53 +0000, Tethys wrote:
> John Winters writes:
>
> >The problem is that I would like to use two separate VoIP phone adapters
> >on my home LAN, in separate physical locations.  It seems that both of
> >them need my ADSL router to forward UDP packets aimed at certain fixed
> >ports to them in order to work.  Obviously the ADSL router can't do
> >this.
>
> Why is that obvious? If the router can't do it[1], then why not have it
> forward the packets to a server somewhere, and have the server forward
> them on to the appropriate phone? Unless I'm missing something, I'm not
> seeing a need for Asterix. Can't you just do it purely with suitable IP
> routing?

The problem is that the VoIP phone adaptor wants all incoming packets
addressed to e.g. UDP port 7016 (I forget the number, but it's a
specified set of UDP port numbers) forwarded to itself.  Instructions
are included for setting up your router to forward the packets
appropriately.  AFAICT there's no other routing information, and so no
way for a plain routing device to decide which of two boxes each
individual packet should be sent to.

I'm open to correction on this one if anyone knows better.

Regards,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk