[Gllug] just a quick question

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 19:53:53 UTC 2006

"Daniel P. Berrange" writes:

>Its actually quite a tricky task because autoconf was designed to only
>assume presence of a minimal shell & not require distribution of the
>autoconf tools themselves.

I was actually talking about macro languages in general, rather than
specifically a suitable macro language for the auto* tools.

>Or I might just say, screw shell scripts - Perl is practically as
>omnipresent today as shell was 10 years back & thus use a real
>programming language instead of trying to do nasty tricks in the
>shell.

You've been living in the desktop Linux world for too long. Perl is
*far* from omnipresent. From memory, it was absent from all of our
production servers at my last job. You might have more of a case for
it being present on boxen where someone is likely to be compiling
something (which you wouldn't generally be doing on a production
box), but even that's not guaranteed. I have several Unix boxen on
which I compile things that lack perl.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk