[Gllug] Cant enable DMA

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Feb 27 13:35:12 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:26:32AM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Bruce Richardson writes:
>
> >What you describe is really a mirror, not a proper backup.  It can be
> >part of a backup scheme but it is simply not, in itself, a backup.
> >You have no historical archive, you have a one-off copy.
>
> Errr... no. rsync is just a tool. How you use it determines whether
> you have a true backup or not.

And that conflicts with what I said precisely how?  I didn't say that it
wasn't a backup because it used rsync, I said it wasn't a backup because
there was only the one, synchonised copy.  Doesn't matter what is used
to do the mirroring.

> I've used it for weekly full and daily
> incremental backups to a remote disk. To me, that's a backup with full
> historical archive, and one that's better and more cost effective than
> tape.

Then you are doing something different to him.  Fine.

> >Tape is expensive and slow but most of the hard disk solutions I see
> >people are talking about are very unsafe. For some reason, most of them
> >are not backing up to a fresh removable disk (or set thereof) each run
> >and then sending the disks to offsite storage.
>
> It's possible (and indeed, all too easy) to make disk backups unsafe.
> But it's also easy enough to get it right. Backing up to removable disk
> isn't necessary if the backup is already at a remote site.

A good tape backup policy will have the tape sets going offsite to
storage specifically designed for the purpose.  This means each tape set
being stored separately, maybe at distributed locations.  The data on
those tapes is safer than a bunch of disks all in the same box, or even
in different boxes in the same racks or different boxes in different
racks in the same datacentre.

Achieving equivalent security to proper tape backups with disk is more
expensive in cost and effort than most people think about.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.