[Gllug] just a quick question

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Wed Feb 15 13:01:42 UTC 2006

Tethys wrote:
> Can you do the same on this x86 box with which you wish to replace it?

Yep.  HP server kit has proper serial BIOSes these days.  I believe even
the cheaper H^HDell stuff does, too. All x86 blades have it too. As does
the Sun x86 kit I was installing last week.

It's been a long time overdue but "It doesn't have a serial console, it
can't be managed remotely properly" is no longer a good excuse for
buying underpowered overpriced sparc kit.

I recently got to play with Dell's remote KVM-over-IP kit as well.  It's
a dongle that plugs into the mouse, keyboard and monitor that then
presents an RJ45 connector that you then cable just like ethernet.  Very
neat.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk