[Gllug] Re: Bash Data validation libraries

David Abbishaw David at Abbishaw.com
Tue Feb 14 11:52:35 UTC 2006

> Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:29:09 +0000
> From: Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org>
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] Bash Data validation libraries
> To: Greater London Linux User Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>
>
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 03:06:06PM +0000, David Abbishaw wrote:
>
>> Hi,  Just wondered if anyone had any good resources for pre written bash
>> or ksh libraries for doing in particular data validation. Although
>> anything might be useful at the moment.
>>

> Data validation ...?  What sort of data and how do you want to check it?

Mostly I want to be able to check user input, normally from a read
statement for things like, length, number of '.'s if there entering an
IP address or name.  That the only characters entered are a-z 0-9 as
when cuting and pasting from excel/word other non printable characted
can get pasted.