[Gllug] Cant enable DMA

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Feb 27 14:45:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 01:46:19PM +0000, Stephen wrote:

> To be fair, you only assumed that there was only the one copy. He never
> specifically stated how he was using rsync on the remote box.

Even if he is doing multiple copies, he said there was only the one box.
It doesn't really matter how many copies he makes on that box, it's
still just one device.  Multiple backups to the same device are all
vulnerable to a single set of risks.  It's marginally better than a
single copy (and if they are just incremental backups, the margin is
very, very small) but no substitute for backups to genuinely separate
media.

I'm not trying to be awkward about anything, just stating the
unforgiving truth.  You have to be absolutely realistic about the
possible scenarios that data loss might cause for you and the extent to
which your backup policy protects you.  If you can only afford to
protect against X and not Y, then you have to acknowledge that and be
prepared for what happens when Y occurs.

Small companies and freelancers/homeworkers are even more vulnerable to
the problems caused by data loss than large companies (which have better
resources with which to protect themselves from the risks), so they
should actually devote at least as much time and effort to the planning
and auditing of their backups as anybody else.

Hell, most of the people on this list have data on their home systems
whose loss would be hugely invonvenient (in the time required to
recreate it and the lost time doing that, at the very least) and yet
most of those same people do not have any proper backups at all.  Me, I
have tape backup and DVD snapshots and I'll be storing some of that "off
site" soon.  It isn't paranoid, it's rational.  Not my fault if most
people are irrational on this subject.

--
Bruce

Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards, apart from
ostriches if you punch them hard enough.