[Gllug] Linux on amd64

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 20:52:33 UTC 2006

I've got a new job, and have been given a budget and told to go and buy
myself a desktop. CPU isn't really relevant, but I/O is likely to be a
bottleneck. I'll need lots of RAM, and some fast disks (given my recent
SATA headaches, I suspect I'll be returning to the church of SCSI).

Currently I'm tending to an amd64 machine. What's the general consensus
about running Linux on them for desktop use? I've heard that there
are a few things that don't work well, such as OO.o[1] and some other
things like the AdobeMedia Flash plugin, mplayer with win32 codecs and
similar things[2]. Any other views? My preferred distributions would
be Fedora Core, Ubuntu and Debian, probably in that order. Any other
pitfalls I should be aware of before taking the plunge?

Tet

[1] Not a problem -- I avoid it like the plague anyway
[2] Not likely to be a big deal. It's a work machine after all.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk