[Gllug] just a quick question

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 20:37:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 15:05 +0000, paul wrote:
> I'm teaching myself sendmail and have a pretty good grasp of it now, but
> one thing still eludes me.
>
> Let's say I  make a mail group  for all the users in that group to recieve
> mail from an account called thelist at ourdomain.com
> Now I want to make it so that the group (lets call the group name "listers"),
> also gets mail distributed to it, if the mail comes in from a particular
> domain. so anyone emailing in from  xyz.com will be mailing the listers group
> even if it is addressed to an individual within the group. so
> mark at ourdomain.com could be the intended recipient but it will get diverted
> to either the listers group or thelist at ourdomain.com
>
> Does anyone know how to achieve this with sendmail? Hopefully I can just edit
> a text file as I don't yet know how to do all that M4 macro stuff. Any help
> appreciated as always

This used to be quite awkward, as recipient and sender addresses are
rewritten through separate rulesets, and although it's easy to rewrite
them to your hearts content, delivery agent selection is based on the
recipient address, no the sender address. Also, a lot of the people who
wanted this feature wanted to use it to silently copy all incoming mail,
and the developers took a dislike to that for privacy reasons.

The best and simplest way to achieve what you want to do here will
probably be to use the synonym milter:-

http://www.modulo.ro/content/view/55/1/

All you need to do is add one line to your sendmail.mc file, re-generate
the CF file, and configure the milter as directed. You should consider
the implications of what you're doing before you put this in place
though. You will be intercepting mail from certain senders, and you
ought to ensure that you are not in breach of data protection or the RIP
act. If its the companies mail system and/or all the users have agreed
to the interception of their mail if it comes from some places, then
you're probably OK.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk