[Gllug] just a quick question

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 15 07:50:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Rich Walker prattled cheerily:
> Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:
>
>> /usr/xpg4/bin/ksh is the POSIX standard shell (in a really stupid
>> place).
>>
>> I'd agree that the antique Solaris /bin/sh is utterly worthless, though.
>
> Are there *still* people who will pay for a computer with Solaris on?

The machine I refer to is, oh, eight or so years old. I doubt anyone
would accept it except as scrap metal.

> I thought you could send it back as "not of merchantable fitness", on
> the grounds that Free Software was better than the * they ship with?

There's plenty of free software on there too, in a $HOME-rooted package
management system of my own devising (I don't have root on there but got
utterly fed up of the awful userspace Solaris 2.8 ships with).

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk