[Gllug] Re: USB 2.0 PCMCIA Cardbus Adapter

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Mon Feb 13 17:46:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, john gennard wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 Christian Smith <csmith at micromuse.com> wrote:-
>
>[snipped]
>
> >Sounds like it should be a supported device. The drivers are
> >probably not working due to them not being WinXP drivers.
>
>[snipped]
>
>Sorry I didn't post outputs, but I thought them too long.

No problem

> >Post the output of:
> ># dmesg | grep hcd
> ># lspci | grep USB
> ># dump_cis
>
> >FWIW, I have a PCI based NEC USB 2.0 controller, which works fine.
> >Your cardbus device probably uses a similar chip.
>
># dmesg | grep hcd
>ehci_hcd 02:00.2: PCI device 1033:00e0
>ehci_hcd 02:00.2: irq 11, pci mem d092a000
>ehci_hcd 02:00.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2003-Dec-29/2.4

Cool, so your card is recognised and running in ehci (USB 2.0) mode.

>--------------
>
># lspci | grep USB
>0000:00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4
>USB (rev 01)
>0000:02:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
>0000:02:00.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
>0000:02:00.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)

Yup, same chipset as mine. Looking good.

>--------------
>
># dump_cis
>Socket 0:
>   version 0x00, compliance 0x00, dindex 0x0000
>     vspec8 0x00, vspec9 0x00, nhdr 0
>     vendor ""
>     info ""
>   parse error: Invalid argument

Urgh! I guess this is what you get for no name cards. Don't worry about
it, though.

>Hope the above helps - the last command means nothing to me.
>What does cis signify I wonder.

Card Information Structures. Basically, firmware and vendor information.

You should be able to plug devices in and see some kernel output in dmesg.
Try plugging in a USB memory key, or a mouse, and see if the kernel finds
a driver for it. You should also have another directory under
/proc/bus/usb. Check this directory with and without the card in. Should
be different.

Finally, lsusb will enumerate buses, hubs and devices visible to the
kernel.

--
    /"\
    / \