[Gllug] DHCPd problem

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 20:44:49 UTC 2006

I fitted a new wireless card on my Ubuntu box (to go to 802.11g
from .11b).

The device is visible as ra0

However the DHCP daemon which allocated ip addresses on the network
segment attached to eth0 (ie the connection to my dreamcast) now
fails...

eg

adrian at bossclass:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/dhcpd
Password:
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server 2.0pl5
Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 The Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp-contrib.html

No subnet declaration for ra0 (192.168.62.105).
Please write a subnet declaration in your dhcpd.conf file for the
network segment to which interface ra0 is attached.
exiting.

But I don't want the daemon to have anything to do with ra0 - it gets
its IP assigned by the router.

What's up and how can I fix it - it stops the Dreamcast booting:

eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
Sending DHCP requests ...... timed out!
IP-Config: Reopening network devices...
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
Sending DHCP requests ......

etc, etc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk