[Gllug] Personal Email sigs

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Mon Feb 13 12:23:15 UTC 2006

Richard wrote:

> Hi peeps,
> My email lives on a shared server which I access via IMAP, my mail is
> sorted by procmail, and basically everything lives in one place - the
> server. Is there a nice way that I can get my email to have a sig
> appended to my outbound mail, but only for my mail (NOT for everyone
> else using the server). The Postfix server requires me to
> authenticate, so technically, it knows who's sending the mail to get
> my personalised settings.

Usually this type of thing is done by the email client rather than the
server.  However, to be helpful you might check out this page:

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/sendmail-disclaimer.html

You could then substitute your own script that would check sending email
address and, provided it is yours, attach your sig.

> For the record, this will be a simple contact details kinda sig, not a
> verbose legalistic rant about the second coming.

Good, I have only seen one type of automatic text I like and that is a
single line similar to "Message Scanned by [Message Scanner] at [date-time].

If you must append text, make it very simple and straightforward.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk