[Gllug] Linux support options

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:38:14 UTC 2006

On 2/27/06, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
> Steve Nelson wrote:
> > Sorry Mart, I like Debian as much as the next guy, but saying Redhat
> > isn't supportable is just silly.
>
> If you're running the very very small subset of common open source
> software that Redhat provide on the CD and therefore officially support,
> then yes, it's supportable.

It's not that small really - most of the tools and applications used
in your everyday server environment are provided - I can't think of
anything I'm lacking.  Bear in  mind this isn't Joe's laptop we're
talking about.

> The second you have to turn to third party RPMs _then_ it stops being
> supportable.

Yes - it can get messy then, but this is exceptionally rare.  On those
rare occasions, you're better off making your own rpm.  Third party
rpms provided by vendors, however, eg HP, have worked flawlessly
though, because they are tested against and developed on RHEL systems.

We run non-redhat-packaged programs of course, but these won't be in
Debian either:

smyslov:~# apt-cache search weblogic
smyslov:~#

S.