[Gllug] recommendations for webmail software?

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Fri Feb 10 19:50:57 UTC 2006

I need to find myself some webmail software for my server, and I'm curious
as to whether anyone here might have some recommendations?

The following points would be important:

  a) must be able to access IMAP mail   (and work with a sizable IMAP spool
       [>2G; >1000 folders)

  b) should not have a (recent/active) history of loads of security holes.

  c) (nice to have) allows use of multiple sender-names on an account
     (i.e. I have several addresses ending up in the same inbox).

  d) just looking for the software to install/run on my linux server - I'm
     not interested in companies that just offer the service.

  e) (nice to have) debian package / installer  (though, source packages,
     or just plain tar files to install myself will be OK, too).

I might consider commercial offerings, depending on price...

I've seen a number of webmail systems that are listed on freshmeat, but,
obviously, just looking at the feature list doesn't really say much
(especially on the security side of things).

Any recommendations for (or warnings against) specific software out there?

Benedikt

   ALLIANCE, n.  In international politics, the union of two thieves who
     have their hands so deeply inserted in each other's pockets that
     they cannot separately plunder a third.
 			(Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk