[Gllug] Cant enable DMA

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 11:10:37 UTC 2006

Nix writes:

>I was scarred by the horrors of QIC before DAT.

Obligatory horror story follows...

Some time in the early 90s, I was working for a company doing small
business consultancy. One of our customers raised a support call to
claim their backup wasn't working. The machine was a Bull DPX2/200
with a QIC drive. After getting nowhere by talking them through all
of the obvious things we could think of, we had to resort to sending
an engineer on site. When he arrived, he'd found that the woman in the
finance department that was responsible for swapping the backup tapes
over each night had put the tape in the wrong way around. For those
of you too young to remember, QIC tapes comes with a nice slab of
metal along one side, specifically to prevent you from putting the
tape in wrong. If you try, it physically won't fit. But oh no, our
intrepid hero wasn't to be deterred. When the tape wouldn't go in, she
grabbed a spoon, which she used as a lever to force the tape in. Now
the metal plate is quite sturdy on a QIC tape, so she wasn't entirely
successful. She did, however, manage to jam it in enough to completely
screw up the drive. The engineer tried in vain to remove the tape, but
in the end had to resort to pulling the drive and putting a new one in.
Needless to say, when he got back to the office, his first words were
"you're never going to believe what I've just seen".

Tet :-)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk