[Gllug] trashman - a trash management utility for Linux filesystem

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Feb 2 08:24:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Richard Jones said:
> Say no more!
>
> http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2006/01/08aaac82c72cdc32f1f032fad6288fc7.en.html

Oh what excellent timing. Lovely syntax, too. :)

(temporary tables *are* used in real code. Quite heavily in some cases, especially if like me you're trying to keep *all* state.)

... however another problem is that one way to make sure that nobody
ever runs a system is to write it in an unusual language. On top of that
I don't know OCaml very well... it's an excuse to learn, I suppose.

When I climb out of this pit of hardware failure (2/3rds of my machines
written off due to unconnected drastic failures in *a week*!) I might
have a look...

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 08:18:32PM +0000, Nix wrote:
>> and most of them are really rather crappy at representing graphs in
>> my experience.
>
> By "graph" I guess you're talking about the "bunch of linked nodes"
> type rather than the "X and Y axes" type.

Exactly. We have a bunch of interlinked trees representing all-the-
versions-of-this-file-across-time, and other tracking all-inodes-
that-have-ever-had-this-name, and another chaining versions together
into branches, and so on...

(The lack of any connection primitive in PostgreSQL is annoying, but
that's nothing that PL/* can't work around.)

>                                            Functional languages are
> rather good at representing the first type of graph, and certainly no
> worse than C.

Ooo! I know classic ML was awful at it...

>                You have mutable pointers in OCaml.

Oh good :)

--
`I won't make a secret of the fact that your statement/question
 sent a wave of shock and horror through us.' --- David Anderson
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk