[Gllug] Switches

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Mon Feb 27 23:30:04 UTC 2006

"Martin A. Brooks" <martin at hinterlands.org> writes:

> Rich Walker wrote:
>> Are there any actual disadvantages to the el-cheapo gigabit switches
>> these days?
>
> Unless you need management, not really, but you get what you pay for, of course.

That's roughly what I thought. Not yet seen the need for management
round here - in *any* sense of the word :->

> I have a little gig switch here at home and it does pretty much what it says on the box.  I've not
> tried fulling loading it to see if it'll keep up, though.

Well, this is mostly replacing 10/100 switches, and any gigabit cards we
get will be in the £5-£8 range themselves, so ... it'll probably do.

> http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.asp?sku=316897
>
> 495kr is about £45

that's the sort of thing.

I think it was Scan have the 8-port version for £48+VAT.

mmm.

*strokes beard, ponders*

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk