[Gllug] just a quick question

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Feb 15 13:31:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 12:55 +0000, Tethys wrote:
> Dani Pardo writes:
>
> >	My Sun E-250 looks very nice and blue, but is *very slow*. For the
> >price of a memory upgrade of this machine, I can buy an x86 that
> >outperforms it.
>
> Come back when your x86 box supports proper remote management. I can
> *completely* manage a Sun from a PDA via a mobile phone. Including
> BIOS-level config changes, and remotely power cycling it. Can you do
> the same on this x86 box with which you wish to replace it?
Almost. The Service Processors on v20z/v40 and Galaxy support out of
band management. You can get access to the BIOS setup screen too.
I can remotely manage clusters, configure BIOS settings and remote power
cycle.
But I agree - sticking with a BIOS with its roots in the original IBM PC
is totally outdated.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk