[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move (was ping)

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Tue Feb 7 20:07:41 UTC 2006

OK I'll bite and ask a question.

I've not done this before...

Laptop with 20G drive. Boots XP and FC3. The disk is partitioned with
XP/NTFS first, then FC3/EXT3, then swap and then a data area which is
FAT32. GRUB is the the disks MBR.

The 5G XP partition is too small for all the junk I've got there so I
want to shrink the FAT32 partition and move the EXT3 and SWAP partitions
up a bit to make about 2Gig more available to XP.

I've found that neither Parted, QTParted or Partition Magic 8 want to
move the EXT3 partition. (QT)Parted says that the origin of the EXT3
partition needs to stay where it is and although Partition Magic (V8)
says it understands EXT3 it won't move it.

So will this work.....

boot knoppix

dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/path-to-some-share-via-network bs=4096
conv=notrunc,noerror

delete the ext3 partition

make new one exactly the same size as the original but in a new place on
the disk

dd if=/path-to-some-share-via-network  of=/dev/hda5 bs=4096
conv=notrunc,noerror

reboot

pray

Use Partition Magic to resize the NTFS partition with XP in it.

I prefer not trash the FC3 setup if I can help it.

any thoughts

Ken
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk