[Gllug] Moving processor between boxes

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 08:21:57 UTC 2006

Chris
Agreed that my comments were an over-simplification!
The point I was trying to make, badly, is that if you run a cpu-intensive
process to 'benchmark' a single cpu and the run the same benchmark against
a two-cpu machine of the same spec the difference in speed will be marginal
(assuming nothing else significant running).
Clearly if yu have lots of processes running on an SMP machine they will all
run faster than on a single cpu, since they get a bigger 'slice' each!

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk