[Gllug] Single IP, HTTP accelerator fronting multiple webservers

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 18:00:41 UTC 2006

Richard Jones writes:

>TUX / "Red Hat Content Accelerator" is another possibility, but I'm
>not so sure that I want to run kernel stuff (absolute performance is
>not an issue for us).

So why do you need an HTTP accelerator if performance isn't a problem?
If you're just returning static content, then the tiniest box you can
buy will *easily* saturate any Internet bandwidth you can afford, so
you don't need a cache. If you're returning dynamic content, then it's
generally not cachable anyway, so once again you won't see any benefit
from a cache.

The only scenario I can think of where it would help is if you're
dynamically generating static content. In that case, why not just
pregenerate static pages once a day from cron or something, and serve
them up as regular static content, which would give you the same
performance improvement without the need for an extra component to
get in the way (and potentially fail)?

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk