[Gllug] Linux support options

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 22:04:52 UTC 2006

Simon Morris writes:

>Whether you want support from Red Hat or not you need to pay to
>subscribe to the RHN and receive patches from them. I looked into this
>recently and it isn't legal (within the agreement for Red Hat Enterprise
>Linux) to use their product without a current RHN subscription.

Really? That's in direct contradiction to my conclusion when I looked
into it a year or two ago. There is nothing to prevent you from using
the distribution without a subscription, but doing so will require
you to patch by compiling the source RPMs yourself. They don't provide
binary RPMs to non-subscribers (which is one of the reasons to go the
CentOS route, rathen than subscriptionless RHEL).

Can any of the RH people on the list can clarify which of us is right?

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk