[Gllug] just a quick question

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 09:15:42 UTC 2006

On 11/02/06, Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:
> >Or I might just say, screw shell scripts - Perl is practically as
> >omnipresent today as shell was 10 years back & thus use a real
> >programming language instead of trying to do nasty tricks in the
> >shell.
>
> You've been living in the desktop Linux world for too long. Perl is
> *far* from omnipresent. From memory, it was absent from all of our
> production servers at my last job. You might have more of a case for
> it being present on boxen where someone is likely to be compiling
> something (which you wouldn't generally be doing on a production
> box), but even that's not guaranteed. I have several Unix boxen on
> which I compile things that lack perl.

But thats probably because you uninstalled it or they are horrificly
out of date ;)

I mean - name a modern (i.e. less than 5 years old) Unix that doesn't
ship with perl.

Also I think you'll find that ALL linux distro's include perl for
server setups and you would have to specifically mark it to be
excluded, but then being language bigot I'd expect you to do that too.

A.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk