[Gllug] just a quick question

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 20:28:06 UTC 2006

Nix wrote:

> The particularly ridiculous thing is that this remains true on the
> company's Linux boxes. Linux boxes using pdksh as an interactive shell
> with the terminfo carefully broken so that arrow scrolling is broken,
> *shudder*.

One of my colleagues put "set -o vi" in root's profile on a bunch of
Linux boxes. This subtly breaks arrow scrolling - all is well except
that you cannot get past the end of the line, so you cannot append to it
or delete the last character. To be fair I think this was probably an
error and he just copied the profile from the AIX/ksh systems he was
porting the application from. It took me a little while to work out what
was wrong here, it just didn't occur to me that he'd have done this.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk