[Gllug] /etc under version control

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Feb 15 14:58:50 UTC 2006

Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Rich Walker stipulated:
>> EXT3 journal
>> Database journal
>
> Why bother journalling a ramdisk anyway? It's not as though partial
> writes are even possible.

I meant: put the journal on the ramdisk (I may have been ... intoxicated
... as the flamewar-grade goad of the Solaris mob shows...)

>> Plus they tested it for "read-throughput", comparing it to
>> read-throughput of a 15k RPM hard-drive, one over PCI, the other
>> connected to the mobo chipset.
>
> Duh? It's going to be, well, much faster. Testing RAM for throughput is
> vaguely useful, but *comparing it to a disk*... *why*?

I *did* say it was PC Pro, didn't I?

(I'm actually marginally interested in the performance advantages of
putting database / EXT3 journals on such a device, but not to the extend
of spending £600 to much about with it...)

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk