[OT] [Gllug] Migrating Samba servers between domains - the hard way.

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Wed Feb 8 13:11:55 UTC 2006

Matthew Thompson wrote:
> I've got the joyous task of re-engineering the works' network from
> NT4 to Windows 2003 and thanks to a cock up about 9+ years ago,
> before I joined, the domain on the NT 4 network contains an
> underscore. And domains can't be renamed on NT4.
>
> It's a hard slog but we've decided that for cleanliness we'll rebuild
> the network from scratch with some trusts in place and migrate users
> over one at a time but our main file store is a Samba server and I'm
> having difficulty deciding how to do this.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions that will help me keep Samba and stop me
> from having to migrate the whole lot to a Windows box?

I'm fairly sure you can simply upgrade this domain with the underscore
in place... email me off-list for more detail but AD domains have a
NetBIOS name (which would still be compatible) and DNS names which can
be completely different to your current name.

It isn't a bad idea to start afresh though - the ADMT tool (Active
Directory Migration Tool) is usefull for migration users, computers and
critically profiles across and it doesn't suck entirely. Also it
migrates the users SID to the new domain.. Samba uses the winbind
uid/gid cache to identify users, and I'm not too sure how moving the
account will impact it

Thanks

~sm
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk