[Gllug] Cant enable DMA

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Feb 27 08:13:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Martin A. Brooks announced authoritatively:
> Richard Jones wrote:
>> remember if it was doing DMA or not.  For the moment I'm just using
>> the IDE port to run a CD/DVD-ROM drive.
>
> Just a general thought, do people really use DVD/CD drives so much?

I'd have thought that once. Now...

> My workstation DVD/CD burner gets used once in a blue moon.  Servers I
> install always get PXE booted anyway so don't require a drive in the
> first place.

... I use the CD burner for long-term archival of stuff there's no point
keeping on the disk (OOo source tree, anyone? although now I have a
reasonable amount of disk space that problem may be going away) and for
backups. The latter means that *something* gets burnt at least once a
week.

Perhaps I should get a tape drive, but last I looked they were annoying
bastards to use and horrifically expensive with decidedly unreliable
media.

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk