[Gllug] /etc under version control

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 15 07:52:14 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Russell Howe suggested tentatively:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:21:35PM +0000, Nix wrote:
>> I'd not really recommend recanting /etc without a lot of thought,
>> because you'll need to get PostgreSQL up before you can mount anything;
>> I guess you could do it by having a skeleton /etc, just enough to get
>> postgres running, and then mount --move it somewhere else and overmount
>> the real /etc. Hm. That's an idea... ;)
>
> Just put your postgresql installation in an initramfs :D

GAAH.

(It'd sort of work, but GAAAH.)

(The biggest downside is that you'd really have to arrange to store
almost all the data somewhere else, and upgrading would mean rebuilding
the kernel, and a dump/restore upgrade would be... interesting. It's
doable, though, I'll have to try it. Thanks! :) )

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk