[Gllug] Automatic apt-get dist-upgrade

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Feb 13 12:37:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 13:00 +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> Now we've got a small network of machines to run, all running
> Debian/stable, I'm wondering whether there are any tools for notifying
> me when there are updated packages that need to be installed.  This
> email: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/07/msg00077.html
> suggests writing shell scripts to download the packages and email the
> sysadmin, but I wonder if there are packages which already do this
> that I should know about ...

The first step is to subscribe to the Debian-security mailing list.
This will ensure you get told about all the known security problems and
new packages to fix them.

I run a very simple script each night on my one remote box.

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/apt-get update
/usr/bin/yes | /usr/bin/apt-get -d upgrade

This checks for updates and then downloads (but doesn't install) any
which there are.  I find the e-mail in the morning and do an "apt-get
upgrade" to install the package(s).

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk