[Gllug] USB 2.0 PCMCIA Cardbus Adapter

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 17:53:16 UTC 2006

I bought the above secondhand at Cex to install in
the T20 Laptop I aquired also secondhand just before
Christmas. There was A CD with drivers for Win alone.
The Laptop had XP installed when bought, and I have
repartitioned the hard drive and installed Debian as
my main OS.

I cannot get the device to work in either OS. Debian
messages are not clear to me and I cannot tell which
USB ports it is referring to. (I also acquired a
secondhand 56K PCMCIA Modem, and this gave no
installation problems).

XP identifies the device as an 'NEC PCI to USB Open
Host Controller', but will not install drivers, saying
"An error occurred during the installation of this
device. The data is invalid".

The device has no maker/vendor's name on it, and Cex's
label calls it a Snetcard - I've no idea what a Snetcard
is and googling merely refers me to Vietnamese sites.

Lspci in Debian gives me a possible vendor's ID, but
I can't find old notes telling me how to look up any
details. The CD seems strange to me - it is supposed
to contain v2.3 for Win98SE and For Mac v10.1x and v10.2x,
but I can find only the Mac drivers and it's not a home
burned CD, it looks like the Maker/Vendor's own.

The above is a bit of a 'ramble', but I'm lost and can't
even find the end of the piece of string. Can anyone help
me please?

Thanks,						John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk