[Gllug] just a quick question

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 11:20:01 UTC 2006

THe COBOL era may be over  - buts lots of people are still using it!

Its robust and does the job in a lot of situations.

Programming languages seems a bit like fashions to me  - they come and go.

We have an awful lot of Cobol code going back quite a few years which would
cost an absolute fortune to re-engineer in something more 'modern' and the
job would probably not be done any better!   It might be 'prettier' however,
which unfortunately seems to be the major criterion for buying anything these
days   -  appearance trumps substance !

Call me a dinosaur if you will, but i am quite happy implementing our
commercial stuff in Cobol with some 'C' thrown in where appropriate.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk