[Gllug] Linux support options

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Mon Feb 27 15:42:33 UTC 2006

Richard wrote:
> I'm looking at the options for supporting a major corporate Linux
> deployment, and I'm wondering if there's a way to dodge Red Hat's
> painfully high support contract costs (or their per-server pricing model).

Yes, don't use Redhat.  Use something supportable instead.  Debian
springs to mind.

> Is anyone aware of other organisations that will offer support for Red
> Hat systems, other than Red Hat itself. Red Hat is a pre-requisite to
> keep other vendors (like Oracle) from getting their knickers in a twist.
> BTW, no, I haven't figured out how patches, etc. would be effected
> reliably by a third party.

I was contracted to a company that had a number of Redhat development
machines running Oracle.  These machines would routinely require
rebooting, were badly patched, and required a large amount of non-Redhat
software.

I replaced half of them with Debian and they suddenly went upward of 12
months between reboots.  The company has since moved their production
systems to Debian.

> I understand that this isn't really very nice to Red Hat; but I also
> don't see where they get off trying to charge such extortionately high
> rates.

It's a free market, they can charge whatever they like.  Quite why
anyone pays for open source software in its own right is beyond me, though.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk