[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 8 17:34:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Ken Smith spake:
>> I take it you didn't use LVM when you installed FC3? That would make life
>
> I'm just getting the idea of LVM

Do. It's *lovely*.

Being able to say (as I did last week)

`Oh hell, disk /dev/foo is failing, gotta get everything off it,
let's add a new disk /dev/bar to be sure I've got room':

pvcreate /dev/bar
vgextensd disks /dev/bar
pvmove /dev/foo
vgreduce disks /dev/foo

is killingly useful on its own.

Combine that with resizing of LVM's analogue of `partitions' on the fly,
without rebooting or even in some cases unmounting, and, well, it's *so*
useful that I'm keeping everything but root filesystems on LVM these
days, and have for years.

PC partitions are a bad dream I've long awoken from, their job solely to
delineate the lump at the start of my largest disks that I want to RAID
together. :)

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk