[Gllug] Ethernet crossover wiring

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Fri Feb 24 12:56:59 UTC 2006

Dylan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm off to a friend's on saturday to set up shared internet.
> Unfortunately the gateway is going to be a windows box, but you can't
> have everything!
>
> Question is, if I put a socket in each room, can I configure the wiring
> between them to act as a crossover? It this likely to be stable, or
> should I tell him to shell out for a cheap hub?
>
> Cheers
> Dylan

Assuming this is broadband and we're not talking about a lot of
machines, why not get him to splash out on a router/modem/gateway
device? Most of the £30-£50 ones have an OSS firewall built in. :o)

Either way the hub option seems better to me. As Russell has said the
other option is to have two NIC's in each machine.

The thing most friends under-estimate when they ask me to network their
PC's at home is the number of cables running around the place. I guess
they must all work in raised floor offices. Usually I find after
finishing that the friend's other half is less than happy at the band of
CAT-5 cables (neatly) stapled to the skirting board by the hub. :o)

cheers
Ryan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk