[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 19:17:39 UTC 2006

Christian Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Tethys wrote:
>
>> Christian Smith writes:
>>
>>> * Why, of why, does Linux require mkswap? Anyone know? It'd be really nice
>>> to be able to share swap space with another OS, but mkswap requires you to
>>> have a custom boot step to enable it. BSDs just use a raw partition.
>> Err... you can share swap with other OSes quite easily (and indeed,
>> I've done so in the past). What's the problem? By "custom boot step",
>> all you mean is running mkswap on the device before calling swapon.
>> I don't see the difficulty in that...
>

> Not difficult, just unnecessary, an extra step that you shouldn't need.
>
> Hell, if the partition has to be prepared, why can't swapon do it? Hmmm.

If you try and mount a FAT partition as ext3 or vice versa, it fails
gracefully. If you run swapon on an ext3 OR vfat partition by mistake it
fails gracefully. If it ran mkswap first automatically, it would hose
your filesystem. Are you sure you want that? Admittedly, it would be
your own fault for mis-configuring fstab but still, it would be nice if
it failed because there was no swap signature (or whatever it is that
mkswap does).

Stephen
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk