Fw: [Gllug] just a quick question

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 13 17:17:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 17:10 +0000, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 05:55:34PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > paul wrote:
> > <pointless tosh snipped>
> >
> > You are Henry Gilbert's clone, AICMFP.
>
> had to wikipaedia that one:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_are_X_and_I_claim_my_five_pounds
>
> Excerpt:
>
> You are X and I claim my five pounds (commonly abbreviated to YA X
> AICMFP, YA X AICM£5 or AICM5UKP) is a British stock phrase commonly used
> in online discussion forums such as Usenet.

Showing my age now and exposing the partial nature of the wikipedia
entry - but this actually comes from a newspaper promotion that began
some time before WW2 and was still being used in the 1970s (at least the
Belfast Telegraph was still doing it).

Basically a certain individual would don a disguise and go to a popular
place (eg Blackpool, Cushendall etc) - the paper would say where he was,
if you successfully identified him you presented him your paper and
claimed your fiver.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk