[Gllug] MYSQL ... a permissions problem? mysql newbie installer warning...

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 2 19:27:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 07:02:40PM +0000, M.Blackmore wrote:
> I've been setting up a server following a howto cookbook, including in
> one of these mysql. This is on Suse 9.3 and a 400mhz/256mb old pentium
> box, which is more than needed for the task I suspect!
>
> After following the cookbook and apt getting (rather than YAST rpm'ing)
> all the required files (as specified) I enter the command to set the
> password (again as cookbook specified).
>
> mysqladmin -u root password <mypasswordofchoice>
>
> Then I get this thrown back at me:
>
>  'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
>
> Yes, I am logged as root.
>
> Sorry, some real basics are needed here - where do I go to change
> anything in a config, if its a permissions file write problem, which one
> do I change to allow?
>
> As I said, total luser/noob with regards to mysql.

I think you have seen the mysqladmin help output and looked at the wrong
"password".

The first is to authenticate you as -u <user> to perform an action:

 -p, --password[=name]
                      Password to use when connecting to server. If password is
                      not given it's asked from the tty. WARNING: Providing a
                      password on command line is insecure as it is visible
                      through /proc to anyone for a short time.

The second is an action to change the password.

>From your post I believe you have been using the latter when you wanted
the former.

HTH,

Ben.