[Gllug] paypal : good/bad ?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Jan 3 16:52:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Tethys wrote:

> I would say you're fine if all you're doing is paying for goods. If
> nothing else, it'll be backed by a credit card, which will give you
> suitable cover should anything go wrong anyway. I'd be wary about
> accepting paypal for anything other than trivial amounts of money.
> Last time I looked, they weren't a bank, and hence were unregulated.
> That's fine until it goes wrong, and you find that all of the consumer
> protection laws don't apply...

They are not a bank however they do operate in the UK as a financial
organisation regulated as such so consumer protection laws do apply to the
extent that they do to any other financial organisation.

I've been using them for a year now to accept payment and they do work
quite well in my experience.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       2Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk