[Gllug] Patents *again*

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 19 00:17:16 UTC 2006

Paul Rayner wrote:

> On 18 Jan 2006, at 22:33, Peter Childs wrote:
>
>> Now I read that Patents Kill. Not nessessary software patents but
>> Medical ones make developing drugs very expensive and hence slow
>> down  research and hence are killing thousands every day.
>

> So if the medical patents weren't granted, who would spend the money
> required for the development of new drugs? I agree that the system
> isn't perfect, but like capitalism in general, nobody has come up
> with  a realistic, better alternative. Pharmaceuticals wouldn't spend
> the  sums they do on drug development if the patent system wasn't
> there to  protect their investment. I think that if you left all
> medical research  to governments, scrapping medical patents, the rate
> of development  would be much slower.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that patents are only granted
on drugs. That is not so - see this article:

http://www.pubpat.org/LabCorp_Position_Statement.htm

I am curious to know if you think it is productive to allow these type
of patents to be granted ?

Regards,
Salsaman.
http://lives.sourceforge.net