[Gllug] trashman - a trash management utility for Linux filesystem

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jan 30 16:55:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 11:06:24AM +0000, Dan wrote:
> Unlike Windows, in Linux (or Ubuntu at least) there is no apparent
> trash collection/management, 'recycle bin' type utility and a brief
> search does not reveal much. Perhaps the majority of Linux users feel
> they don't have much need for it and make do happily with using 'rm'
> or 'mv'. Either way, I am thinking of developing a utility to do such,
> mainly for the purpose of programming practice, although one advantage
> I can think of is that it will simplify the removal of whole
> directories and their contents - it would save the user have to
> specify the great long '--ignore-fail-on-non-empty' flag and the risk
> of accidental deletion. I'm thinking of naming the utility 'trashman',
> for 'Trash Management', but also after our humble refuse collector. If
> anyone knows of an existing software like this, I would be interested
> in checking it out.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/libtrash/

Libtrash can be configured on a per-user or per-programme basis.  This
means, for example, that you can have libtrash protecting the files that
samba is serving up to remote clients but not anything else.

There are a lot of things you don't want protected, because it breaks
things.  If you use libtrash just to protect your personal files, you
should be OK.  There's a debian libtrash package so I assume there is
one for Ubuntu.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.