[Gllug] The BETT education exhibition at Olympia

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 08:09:15 UTC 2006

On Tue 03 Jan, Martin N Stevens wrote:

> BETT has never had, nor do I expect it ever will have an ORG village.
> Maybe we could
> do a Del-Boy suitcase job ;-)
>
> Regards
>
> Budgester

   I discovered possibly the first BETT show when it was at the Barbican,
and I was working just round the corner. At that time there were many sole
traders and small companies offering mainly Acorn applications. One of them
was actually one of my colleagues doing some moonlighting, building up a
well known business (Pineapple Software) run by him and his family.
   There has always been an area set aside for small stands, sometimes
demonstrating applications developed and marketed by individual schools, but
I do not know what charges are made. Another area demonstrates facilities
for "special needs".
   I was once dragged in to a meeting to discuss the needs of visitors and
discover whether their expectations had been met. One teacher explained that
she had just been apointed IT organiser at her school, and had come along to
find out something about it.
   There is possibly some improvement in general knowledge, but many schools
are now locked in to airtight service contracts which prevent any change of
hardware or software unless supplied directly by the contractor.
   I have visited the show most years, and recently found some knowledge of
Linux, but a general reluctance to look outside the official standard
curriculum.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk