[Gllug] removing punctuation from filenames in bash

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 08:08:52 UTC 2006

On 12/01/06, Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk> wrote:

> I'm working on a script to organize my ogg files into directories
> according to the info in the tags (artist, album etc.) I've got the
> main part working, but I've got filenames with characters that a FAT32
> fs will not accept. So, how can I go about removing:
>
> !"$%^&*{}][#~@':;?><,
>
> from the filename? (the '.ogg'. is added after the filename is
> constructed so the final '.' is not an issue.

I had a similar problem with files being created by Mac users with
invalid characters in the filename.... the good people of GLLUG fixed
it for me :-)

Read:

[Gllug] Mass renaming of files
http://lists.gllug.org.uk/pipermail/gllug/2003-May/034686.html

and

[Gllug] Finding filenames with special characters (was Mass renaming of files)
http://lists.gllug.org.uk/pipermail/gllug/2003-May/034783.html

Thanks
--
~sm