[Gllug] Hacker Attack, and a wild aside about version-controlled filesystems

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jan 12 15:33:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Martin A. Brooks whispered secretively:
> Tethys wrote:
>> Not necessarily. A few alternative options:
>
> [snip techie stuff]
>
> Subversion does just this, I believe.  WebDAV + autoversioning =
> version controller file system.

Yeah, you can use a webdav FUSE module and things to do that. However,
it's not a POSIX-compliant FS by a very long chalk. I'm not even sure
if the WebDAV interface supports symlinks (although Subversion itself
does). As for hardlinks, ownerships, xattrs, and so on, forget it.
And the lack of xattrs shoots down any attempt to put SELinux labels
on files (you could do it with a change to Subversion itself, but
even then only with the Subversion client, not with the WebDAV
FUSE module).

> Works pretty nicely, too.  I've not used it extensively of rigourously
> enough to make any claims about production readiness, though.

It's a lot more production-ready than Recant, that's for sure ;) A large
part of the reason why I'm doing this is because it promises to be a
whole load of fun and the design constraints and necessary tradeoffs are
interestingly fiddly.

--
`I must caution that dipping fingers into molten lead
 presents several serious dangers.' --- Jearl Walker
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk