[Gllug] What does [permanent] mean in an lsmod listing?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jan 3 19:58:24 UTC 2006

I've just installed a clean new Sarge system (2.6.8 kernel) then
downloaded the vanilla 2.6.14.5 sources and built a fresh kernel using
the same configuration file (modulo changing the CPU type and a "make
oldconfig").  It all seems to work but there's one thing I haven't seen
before.  When I do an lsmod I get stuff like this:

ide_disk               16640  4
ide_generic             1408  0 [permanent]
via82cxxx              12572  0 [permanent]

What does the "[permanent]" bit mean (apart from the obvious)?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk