[Gllug] squid, load balancing

Rhys Powell stanley12 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 13:11:23 UTC 2006

SteveC wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for advice on scaling a website (openstreetmap.org) above
> one box as we're hitting quite high load. The current topology is a db
> machine, the web server www, a tile server for imagery and a machine
> with backup harddrive space. Everything runs debian and apache2.
>
> We're using squid to do some caching but it really isn't fun to
> configure from my limited experience. Are there other things to consider
> apart from squid? What are the options for load balancing?
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC steve at asklater.com http://www.asklater.com/steve/
Hi Steve,
	I'm not sure what the current layout of the box is at the moment and
how the appserver works. But if this information is of any use to you
let me know and I can possibly help you further.
	I am currently building the architecture for a GIS application that is
running apache as a front end, to provide load balancing I am simply
using the AJP13 protocol as this allows a semi controlled round robin
effect, in that you can set a higher priority for one server to another.
It also allow for fail over or stopping a signle instance with out a hit
on performance rather that a complete stop of the application. Squid can
always then be put infront of apache to provide cache.

so you end up with

			webcache

			webserver

		appserver	appserver

the structure that IM working on means the application and mapserver
(mapxtreme) are sitting in the same instances but they can alway be push
out and use the webserver for load balancing again.

Many thanks

Rhys
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk