[Gllug] External hard disks

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 29 13:17:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 10:19 +0000, Jack Bertram wrote:

> Ouch.  This is a real turn-off for me.  I don't have any external SATA
> ports, so no monitoring...

Yup - it's a bit of of a downer. You could always RAID them, but that
seems like it rather defeats your original purpose. You might be able to
get a SATA controller on a card with external ports. This looks like it
might suit you:-

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/storage/lacie-external-sata-drives-027389.php

> > > (And I presume that you partition them and use them in exactly the same
> > > way as a normal internal drive?)
> >
> > Yup. Using udev to make them always appear with the same device ID,
> > whatever order you plug them in in is wise.
>
> Do you know a good web link to explain how to do this?

Try this one:-

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

It's pretty simple once you've got started. I have an external USB disk
that always gets the same mount point with the following line:-

BUS="usb", KERNEL="sd*", SYSFS{manufacturer}="Smart Disk",
SYSFS{idProduct}="0204", SYSFS{idVendor}="0917",
SYSFS{serial}="DEF1077137D6", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="flashtrax%n"

You just have to pull enough uniquely identifying information out of
sysfs to put in a rule, and then decide where you want it to appear. You
can also do lots of other cool stuff with udev.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk