[Gllug] Hardware SCSI RAID

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 20:53:02 UTC 2006

Matthew Cooke wrote:
> gah. had software raid on fedora and wasn't impressed at all. a disk
> failed and wrote something into a log and I didn't notice for 2 months.

That's what mdadm's monitor mode is for. It can run a script when any
event happens in your arrays. The script can then analyse the event and
raise an alert by whatever means you require - send an email, SNMP trap
or whatever.

BTW I like IBM's "ServeRAID" hardware RAID cards but am not at all
enamoured of the Symbios controllers they put in some cheaper servers.
I've had arrays trashed with these when the controller failed and was
replaced by a new one with a later BIOS which wasn't compatible with the
  metadata on the disks! This defeats the point.

I prefer a *good* hardware RAID to software, it's a lot simpler, but
Linux's software RAID is IMHO superior to some cheap and nasty hardware
RAID controllers.

Software RAID is IME much easier if your distro's installer supports it
properly. We run SLES, and in the current version 9 it's pretty
straightforward, but in the (still supported) V8 it's a bit of a pig.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk