[Gllug] Linux MAPI client

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sat Jan 7 08:48:54 UTC 2006

On
> IMAP, which would solve everything, but it's out of my hands and the
> admins don't give a toss. I'm not allergic to customizing something if
> necessary.
I'm sorry, but that is shockingly bad behaviour.

It is quite legitimate for a service department to choose their server
platform - they make the choices based on their requirements, I'm OK
with that.
But mandating that a specific client is used is contrary to the whole
way the Internet has worked for us.

Just lets think - the Internet (I use the term in a wide sense) is a
success because it mandates(*) standards not programs.
So even though (say) the core DNS runs on one DNS server program there
are others out there. Cue many, many more examples.

Cue an old story of mine way back when at the start of the Web where at
Guys hospital a consultant got a grant to provide the junior doctors
clinical handbook on the intranet. Great idea, and quite novel at the
time. Problem was he insisted on having it in Microsoft Help file
format. Scream.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem becomes a nail.

(*) Mandates? Errr....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk